If you care about the health and the appearance of your teeth, are cautious about your breath, and want to keep your gums healthy, then you surely know that mouthwash plays a crucial role. However, There are thousands of different types of mouth washes out there, so how do you choose the most suitable one for you? We have provided some helpful tips for choosing which mouthwash will suit you best, along with a list of some of the top mouthwash products available.
The Benefits of Using a Mouthwash
Before we share the top 8 best mouthwash you can buy, let’s discuss why this should be a major part of your oral hygiene.
1. Reduces Cavities From Forming: Using a fluoride mouthwash massively reduces the risk of cavities compared to only brushing your teeth. Cavities are holes in your teeth due to not thoroughly brushing or using the correct products in your daily routine. Stocking up on a mouthwash will massively decrease your dental costs and prevent any toothache.
2. Fights Gum Disease: Gum disease is painful and caused by inflammation and infections formed from bacteria and plaque build-up inside your mouth. Mouthwashes that are dedicated to fighting gum disease feature antibacterial ingredients plus alcohol.
3. Freshens Breath: One of the most popular advantages of mouthwash is that it freshens your breath and boosts your confidence. Your diet can affect your breath, so if you like foods such as onion and garlic, opt for a mouthwash that instantly kills bacteria that forms bad breath. Preferably, choose a mouthwash containing alcohol and one with a minty taste for optimum freshness.
Buying Guide for Mouthwash
Using mouthwash will not only improve the overall health of your teeth and gums, but it will also give your breath a wonderful awakening, to the world of good breath. There are two main types of mouth wash that serve very different purposes.
1. Therapeutic Mouthwash: This mouth rinse has ingredients that help get rid of mouth bacteria and reduce plaque buildup that grows in mouth. It also helps protect your gums from gingivitis, a common gum disease that can be prevented with FDA certified therapeutic mouthwash.
2. Cosmetic/Breath Freshener Mouthwash: These mouthwashes are regulated just for giving your breath the boost it needs to freshen up. It is minimally reviewed by the FDA and is NOT therapeutic.
There are a few ingredients that you can keep an eye out for that are very popular in mouthwashes.
Alcohol: Most mouthwashes use alcohol as a bacterial prevention agent and will help prevent plaque buildup above the gum line. Although it is a positive ingredient and is beneficial, if anyone has had oral cancer or is prone to have sensitive gums, alcohol infused mouthwash can cause a burning feeling on the gums, along with a drying sensation.
Chlorhexidine: This ingredient is one of the top agents used to fight off plaque and gum disease. It can only be found in prescribed medicines and cannot be found in over the counter medicines.
Fluoride: Fluoride is used to help prevent cavities. Found in many mouthwashes, it is very common and does more good than damage. Although for kids, it is better to only use a fluoride rinse once a week, as it can result in discolored teeth after constant use. There are over the counter options, as well as prescription mouthwashes that have a stronger fluoride content in them.
Top 8 Best Mouthwashes
1. TheraBreath Dentist Recommended Fresh Breath Oral Rinse
TheraBreath Fresh Breath Oral Rinse is the #1 Bestseller in Mouthwashes on Amazon. It is dentist recommended and prevents vulgar breath and sulfate enriched bacteria, along with morning breath odor. It is also recommended for those with dry mouth and is alcohol free, gluten free, kosher, and vegan. Combined with its light mint flavor and natural products, this mouthwash is perfect for anyone searching for an all-natural option.
2. The BreathRX Anti-Bacterial Mouth Rinse
This mouth rinse is completely alcohol free and it contains zinc that balances the VSC’s throughout the entire day. It also has a special, advanced dual-action rinse formula designed to eliminate bothersome and bad morning breath. It also has a powerful active ingredient that aides in preventing the formation of plaque, as well as the creation of volatile sulfur compounds. For its large quantity and fairly affordable price, this is an excellent choice!
3. The Biotene Oral Rinse for Dry Mouth Symptoms
The Biotene Oral Rinse is specially designed to treat the symptoms of dry mouth and bad breath. It cleans and refreshes the mouth, while also providing efficient moisturizing for small wounds and irritations. It has no alcohol whatsoever and can refresh your mouth without causing any type of burning sensation or feeling on your gums. Moreover, it relies on the LP3 salivary enzyme-protein system in order to prevent and address gum issues, especially dry mouth. If you struggle with dry mouth and need an immediate solution, this Biotene mouth rinse is a great option.
4. Crest 3D White Luxe Glamorous Multi-Care Whitening Mouthwash
Crest makes so much more than just Crest 3D whitening strips, because you can now have their 3D whitening mouthwash! Their special whitelock technology will aide in protecting against teeth stains that may occur in the future, while at the same time removing current stains that are on the surface. Although it is a whitener, it also has a cool minty flavor to enhance your breath. Crest promises a white smile within just two days if you use it long enough and it is effective with your teeth. With its reasonable price tag, Crest 3D’s Whitening Mouthwash does not disappoint!
5. The Eco-Dent Daily Rinse Ultimate Essential Mouth Care
This oral rinse by Eco-Dent contains only natural essential oil flavors and it is completely alcohol free. At the same time, it can be used on a daily basis and is perfect for anyone looking for an economic and natural minty mouth wash. It acts as a wound healer and it is recommended by oral surgeons and dentists for after surgeries or tooth pain. Anyone looking for a natural twist on mouthwash, look no more! With its cheap price and healing properties, this is a top notch choice!
6. The Orajel Antiseptic Mouth Sore Rinse
Manufactured by Orajel, this mouth rinse kills bacteria in the mouth and also speeds up the healing process of mouth sores. It is perfect for those who suffer from mild gum inflammation and who have minor wounds in the mouth that would like to have them healed as quickly as possible. The Orajel mouthwash aides in healing issues like denture irritation, gum irritation, or your typical canker sore, and will also prevent the formation of phlegm and mucus from happening in the future. If your mouth has suffered from sores and painful inflammation, this mouthwash is perfect for you!
7. Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash
Listerine provides a great, all around mouthwash that does not specialize or aim in preventing or protecting one thing, rather doing many things at one time. This mouth rinse will get ride of gruesome breath, help break down and heal plaque, and will work towards curing Gum Disease Gingivitis. This mouthwash promises twenty four hour protection from germs and is ADA approved. With its deep cleansing cool mint flavor, this mouthwash is affordable and virtually unstoppable!
8. Lumineux Whitening Mouthwash
Lumineux is packed with gentle ingredients such as coconut oil, sage oil, and lemon peel oil. These natural ingredients remove any surface stains without the use of bleach. This effective product gets to work immediately and strengthens your teeth while leaving you with fresh breath. Its minty flavor leaves you feeling confident though it’s not too sweet that it’s difficult to use regularly.